Thursday, September 3, 2009

It's A Bit Unnatural, Really.

As of today, I have discovered what I will be doing for the rest of my life. It's all clear now what I'll be good at, and what I'll be happy with. If you're reading this, and you know me, you probably know what I'm about to say. It's completely settled that I'm going to have to go into a musical career.

First, I know that I'm a fairly smart person, and have done well in school in all my ten years. I've had an interest in astronomy, astrophysics, and rocketry since about fourth grade. Maybe even third. I dreamed about working with NASA, and still do. But now I realize that the main thing that I'm good at is music, in every shape and form. I'm highly educated in music theory, and study it with more and more interest. I'm well-rounded as far as types of music. I play, or am educated in most instruments. I'm practically gigging already. Seniors and well known musicians are asking me to jam with them. It's crazy how high school works.

What's funny is that most of this is happening within my first two weeks of ninth grade, and that's why I'm getting so excited about it. I've already been asked by a senior to jam with him. I'm with an amazing little combo as we speak, and if we get a few more songs down, we could probably do an hour long gig. While spending time with my dad this summer, I played a few jam sessions with some very talented musicians, all at least ten years older than me. Also over the summer, though, I had a little breakthrough. It's like I suddenly understood everything that had to do with anything. As far as music, I mean. Chords, chord forms, chord progressions, fingering, reading, everything. I didn't even realize what I was realizing until recently. I just feel like I can do absolutely anything.

I think that the reason that this came up is that I got my audition results for the Triangle Youth Symphony this afternoon. My new viola teacher, Mr Partridge, is absolutely amazing, and I really feel that I can just grow in his hands. I took my first two lessons during the last two weeks before my audition, where he gave me "band aids" to my playing. We were both expecting me to make 2nd or 3rd stand viola, but no. I look at the audition results, and I made 1st stand viola, co-principal. It's amazing how things don't end up what you expect them to be, but they turn out better.

But for some reason, while I sit here in my room listening to Death Cab For Cutie, contemplating what major accomplishments I've made in the past two months, I somehow feel slightly sad...although it could just be because I'm listening to Death Cab at 10:30 at night.

To conclude my rant, I feel that my life as a high schooler is better than any part of life that I've experienced yet. In middle school, it just seemed that there was always something or someone to get you down all the time, but high school is just so much better than I'd imagined it would be. I've got a great group of friends who get along with each other, plus my extended friends, plus I've got plenty to do all of the time. I'm occupied. I have everything that I love in one place, where it's easy to access,

And it makes me feel good all the time.

It's a bit unnatural, really.

-Genergizer

No comments:

Post a Comment